28 January 2020
10 tips for community led development
Inspiring Communities focus on community-led development in New Zealand - their top 10 tips for working on locally led change are:
- Start from where you are and be clear on your purpose.
- Have lots of conversations, ask powerful questions, and actively build trust and relationships.
- Focus on community priorities and timelines.
- Identify assets, strengths and what the community does well already.
- Look for ‘bright spots’: go where the energy is and invest in people and their passions.
- Aspire to build community through all that you do: start small and achievable, knowing one thing frequently leads to another.
- Do things with others: collaboration brings new ideas, resources, and energy for future possibilities.
- Create something visible: seeing is believing and generates energy, excitement and momentum.
- Anticipate mess, paradoxes and uncertainty. This is normal!
- Be creative, have fun and strive for results. Help grow a local culture of learning, reflection and celebration.
[Back to Latest News]